Let's take a moment to appreciate all the Mum's out there—the women in our lives who give, support and love endlessly. Mother's Day is a special time to give back and let her know how much you appreciate all that she does, and we think there is no better way to show how much you love someone than through a delicious, home-cooked meal. Our friend Maddy Trueman has created this Caramelised Leek and Gruyere Baked Eggs recipe for Mum to enjoy this weekend, and boy, are they a real treat. Happy Mother's Day.
50g unsalted butter
3 large leeks, whites only, cut lengthways into strips
1 bunch silverbeet, stems removed
Zest of one lemon
1/3 cup pure cream
80g gruyere, grated + 10g for garnish
1 tbsp thyme leaves + extra to garnish
12 free range eggs
Salt and pepper
Chilli flakes, to garnish
Sourdough baguette, sliced, to serve
Butter, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
2. Add butter to a heavy bottomed pot. Allow to melt completely then add leeks. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and starting to turn golden. Add silver beet leaves and sauté for a further 5 minutes until wilted.
3. Add lemon zest, cream, gruyere and thyme leaves, plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
4. Transfer leek mix to a baking dish, spreading until evenly distributed along the base. Make 12 small wells in the mixture and add eggs. Top with remaining gruyere.
5. Bake for 13-18 minutes, until the egg whites are set and yolks are still runny.
6. Garnish with thyme, flaky salt, cracked pepper and chilli flakes. Serve hot with baguette and butter. Enjoy!
For more of Maddy's delicious recipes, follow her on social.