We've partnered up with the wonderful Maddy Trueman once again to bring you another delicious recipe for Winter. This month, we're cooking up a warming, easy-to-make Bean and Sourdough Ribollita Soup.
2 tbsp high quality olive oil + extra for garnish
1 leek, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
1 large zucchini, cut into small cubes
1 can of cannellini or red kidney beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 litre of chicken bone broth or vegetable stock
1/2 bunch kale or cavolo nero, roughly chopped
1 parmesan rind
3 large pieces of sourdough
3 rashers of streaky bacon, cut into small pieces (optional)
Small piece of parmesan or pecorino
Salt and pepper to taste
Chilli flakes (optional)
1. Add the leek and olive oil to a large pot. Caramelise over medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Stir through the garlic, carrot and zucchini, sautéing for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the cans of cannellini beans and tomatoes. Then the parmesan rind. Pour the broth into the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the kale and stir through until soft. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Heat a frypan or griddle pan over high heat. Coat each side of sourdough piece in olive oil. Fry until crispy on each side. Remove from heat and cut into small cubes. If using bacon, add to the same pan and fry until crispy.
6. Ladle soup into bowls and top with sourdough and bacon pieces. Using a microplane, top each bowl generously with parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil and top with chilli flakes. Serve hot & enjoy!
For more of Maddy's delicious recipes, follow her on social.