Our good friend, Maddy Trueman, has created another mouth-watering recipe, perfect for spoiling Mum this Sunday. Enjoy this Upside Down Miso Caramel Pear Cake with the special women in your life this Mother's Day.
For the Miso Caramel:
50g unsalted butter
1 tbsp white miso paste
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1-2 pears, sliced thinly or into thirds
For the Cake:
4 free range eggs
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup melted butter, olive oil or macadamia oil
1 cup almond meal
3/4 cup gluten free flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced. Heavily grease a round springform cake tin with butter.
2. In a small saucepan combine butter, miso and 1/3 cup coconut sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer and whisk until all ingredients are combined. Remove from heat and pour into cake tin. Arrange pear slices over caramel.
3. In a small bowl combine almond meal, gluten free flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a stand mixer beat together the eggs and remaining coconut sugar for 3 minutes at a medium speed or until the mixture turns pale. Slowly pour in melted butter or oil then add dry ingredients until combined.
5. Carefully spread cake mixture over the pears, ensuring that you don't disrupt the arrangement. Use a spatula to even the mixture.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Allow cake to sit for 5 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the cake edges from the tin then very carefully turn cake over onto a plate. Enjoy warm or at room temperature with cream.