Campfire Smokey Chorizo Eggs For Dad
Father's Day is fast approaching and we've got the perfect way to spend the morning with Dad. Maddy Trueman has developed a recipe, ideal for the campfire or over the stove. Treat Dad this Father's Day with these Smokey Chorizo Eggs for breakfast.
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 tsp smoked paprika
250g chorizo, sliced
8 kipfler potatoes, boiled in salt water and drained
400g can of diced tomatoes
2 cups kale or cavolo nero, chopped roughly
8 free range eggs
1/2 cup parsley, chopped roughly
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon, to serve
1. Light the campfire then let the fire burn down to a medium heat. Place a cast iron pan onto a stable set up over the fire, this can be some well balanced logs or a metal grill.
2. Add butter, onion and paprika to the pan. Sauté until caramelised, stirring regularly.
3. Add chorizo and continue to stir. Add boiled potatoes and fry for 5 minutes or until crispy.
4. Add diced tomatoes and kale, continue to cook until kale has wilted. Remove frypan from the heat.
5. Make eight small wells in the mixture, moving the contents aside so that the eggs can reach the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a well. Place pan back onto the heat. Once the egg whites have cooked and the edges are crispy, remove the pan from the fire. The eggs will continue to cook once removed from the fire from the residual heat in the pan.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley then using a micro plane, grate Parmesan over the whole dish. Distribute into plates or bowls and serve with a wedge of lemon. Enjoy around the fire with hot cups of coffee!
Heat a frypan or skillet over medium heat. Complete steps 2 to 6 from campfire method. To speed up the egg cooking process, you can place your frypan under the oven grill for a few minutes. Enjoy!
For more of Maddy's delicious recipes, follow her on social.