We've teamed up with Maddy Trueman to create a festive recipe for the holidays. This delicious Cherry and Gingerbread Spelt Galette is best served with ice cream and shared with family and friends.
Spelt gingerbread dough
1.5 cups spelt flour
3 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp all spice
125g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/4 cup ice cold water
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
500g cherries, pitted
1 tbsp spelt flour
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 cup coconut sugar
pinch of salt
1 egg, for egg wash
Coconut sugar to sprinkle
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. Add spelt flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger and all spice to a food processor and blitz to combine.
2. Add cold butter and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add ice water and apple cider vinegar and mix until combined. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead into a dough. Use your hands to shape the dough into a disc and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced. Line a large baking tray.
4. Combine all cherry filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Use a fork to mash the cherries. Strain to remove any excess liquid.
5. Roll out dough into a rough circle, approx 1/2 cm thick. Transfer to a baking tray.
6. Place cherry filling in the centre of the dough, fold edges up and over the mixture. Brush dough with egg wash then sprinkle with coconut sugar.
7. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until crispy and golden. Transfer to a wire rack then slightly cool. Serve warm or cool with ice cream.
To create a great dough it is import that both the butter and water are super cold.
For more of Maddy's delicious recipes, follow her on social.