December 11, 2021Sundays
Sundays No. 3 — The Treffers’
Sundays at the Treffers’ home in Currumbin begins with pancakes, a pour over coffee, good music and a little boogie. Maggie, our 9 month old, crawling at our feet and pulling herself up on everything keeps us entertained. Anyone that knows me, knows my favourite place to be is the kitchen. This is where you’ll find me most Sundays. Cooking up a feast with a glass of natural wine in arms reach and a record always on play in the background, followed by an afternoon stroll by the creek with our dog Homer. We watch the sun set over the hinterland from our balcony, Maggie goes to rest her head for the night and we spend the rest of the evening talking and playing backgammon. Recharged for the busy week ahead.
A Sunday Morning Playlist
The Treffers' Sunday Pancake Recipe
A no fail recipe that’s guaranteed to beat any shake and bake pancake mix. If Sam can whip these up with ease, then you can too. This recipe makes about 9 large pancakes.
For the pancakes:
2 cups (300g) plain flour
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
430ml of any milk (we use Coco Quench)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Butter for cooking
For the berry sauce:
2 cups frozen berries of your choice.
2 tbsp caster sugar
- I start with the berry sauce because this can sit for as long as you need once done. If not making this, skip straight to 2! Add all ingredients in a saucepan on low heat and stir occasionally until it’s cooked down into a nice sauce. Will take approx 10 mins.
- Place dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the rest! Egg, milk and vanilla. Whisk until just combined.
- Heat a skillet to medium and add a tsp butter to melt. Now here’s the hot tip! Wipe your skillet out lightly with a paper towel before pouring in the batter. Perfect pancakes every time!
- Make any size pancakes you please, just flip when you see the pancake covered in bubbles.
- We like to keep a Falcon enamel plate on a low heat in the oven and pop the pancakes in here as they are done. This keeps them warm while you make them all.
- We like to serve it with the berry sauce, ricotta and maple syrup. Maybe a side of mimosas. Enjoy!