Mother's Day is just around the corner and if you've left it too late to find a gift for Mum, you can still show your love and appreciation with this delicious cake by Maddy Trueman. This cake is moist, not too rich and naturally gluten free. Made with 5 hero ingredients, it will definitely impress Mum this Mother’s Day. The key to this recipe is using the best quality ingredients you can find - opt for local free range eggs where possible, a grass fed butter and the best dark chocolate you can find. This recipe can be made 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge before serving. Serve with a dollop of cream or marscapone and a handful of fresh berries.
175g dark chocolate, cut roughly
175g unsalted butter
175g almond flour
175g coconut sugar
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp vanilla bean paste (optional)
4 large free range eggs, at room temperature
Cacao powder for dusting (optional)
Thick cream or marscapone, to serve
Fresh berries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced. Grease and line a small springform cake tin.
2. Add chocolate and butter to a large bowl over a small simmering saucepan of water (a double boiler). Use a spatula to mix until until melted then remove from the heat. Gently mix in the almond flour, coconut sugar, sea salt and vanilla. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Seperate the egg yolks from the whites. Gently mix the egg yolks through the chocolate batter.
4. Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the whisk attachment to whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the whites through the chocolate batter until just combined.
5. Transfer the batter to the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes. Be careful not to overcook as it will dry this cake out. Allow cake to cool in the tin for 1 hour before serving. Dust with cacao powder and enjoy with cream and berries!
Hazelnut meal can be used as a substitution for almond meal in this recipe. Cake will store in the fridge for up to 3 days or can be wrapped tightly and frozen for a few months.
For more delicious creations by Maddy, visit her socials.