Hot Cross Pudding with Marscapone, Figs and Pistachio
Leftover hot cross buns? Look no further than this delicious recipe by Maddy Trueman. This recipe turns the humble hot cross bun into a decadent, custardy dessert. Enjoy with in-season fresh figs, toasted pistachios and zesty orange.
6 brioche hot cross buns
3 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups milk
Zest of two oranges
1/2 cup marscapone
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean extract or paste
Juice of one orange
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 figs, cut in to quarters
1/4 cup toasted pistachios, chopped roughly
1. Line a medium baking tray. Cut each hot cross bun in half lengthways and generously spread with butter. Arrange in the baking tray.
2. Add milk and half of the orange zest to a small saucepan. Simmer for a few minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and mix through the marscapone until combined.
3. While the milk is simmering, add the eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange juice to a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Slowly pour the milk mixture in to the egg mixture while continuing to whisk to create a custard. Add salt.
4. Pour the custard mixture over the hot cross buns. Set aside to soak for 45 mins. Carefully open each hot cross bun slightly to allow custard to seep through.
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced. Bake for 20 minutes or until custard is wobbly. Remove from oven and top with toasted pistachios and remaining orange zest. Serve warm with fresh figs.
This recipe is best made with hot cross buns that are 1-2 days old. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For more delicious creations by Maddy, visit her socials.